Friday, June 17, 2011

Art vs. Fashion: Head Over Heals at the Salvatore Ferragamo Museum

Salvatore Ferragamo was the "shoemaker for the stars" and he has set his mark in the shoe industry with his genius idea of linking fashion along with culture and deriving his shoe creations from that.

ART

Salvatore Ferragamo
Brass Pyramidal Heel
 1930

This sandal, as you can see, was inspired by the Egyptian's pyramidal structures and their sky-scraping architecture and when stacked, it is said that one can reach the moon. The resemblance of the heel in the form of a pyramid, along with its gold coloring, truly reflects the importance of gold in Egypt. 

I feel that the heel symbolizes great height and the ability for one to reach outer experiences and Salvatore Ferragamo was able to grasp this and turn it into a culturally defined shoe.

VS.

FASHION

Tufi Duek
Spring/Summer 2012
Sao Paulo

Tufi Duek's Spring/Summer 2012 collection was emersed in the tribal theme with the reoccurence of strapped arms, legs and feet.


The pyramidal heel in Ferragamo's shoe and the design detail in the top designed by Tufi Duek are comparably alike. The pattern in the top reveals an inverted pyramid which coincides with idea of the heel.


Egyptian inspired creation of my own...
Here is a pocket book that I designed in my textiles class where I really got to show my design capabilites. I took my thought process from looking at the "Eye of Horus," along with having curiosity of the Egyptian culture, architecture, and how pyramids were made, I was able to come up with this gold chain pocket book. The fabric swatches included is what I thought would realistically take this sketch from paper to actually constructing and producing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment